On Wednesday, the Federal Aviation Administration cleared Boeing's 737 Max airliner to fly again after almost two years, according to CNBC.
The plane was banned in March 2019 after two crashes that left 346 people dead. FAA Administrator Steve Dickson stated that a repeat of that event was now "impossible" due to design and training changes. “I’m 100% confident,” Dickson, a former airline pilot said. “It’s the most scrutinized transport airplane in history and it’s ready to go."
“We will never forget the lives lost in the two tragic accidents that led to the decision to suspend operations,” Boeing’s CEO, David Calhoun, said. “These events and the lessons we have learned as a result have reshaped our company and further focused our attention on our core values of safety, quality and integrity.”
Investigations into the crashes showed that the automated flight-control system gave pilots on both flights issues due to faulty sensor data. Furthermore, pilots were not told about the system, and mention of it had been removed from manuals. In September, the House determined that regulatory, design and management were involved with the production of the jets and ultimately led to "preventable death".
Many of the families of the victims don't agree with the decision to reinstate the jetliner. “They cut corners in the original design and they’re cutting corners on the fixes,” said Michael Stumo, whose daughter Samya died in the second 737 Max crash. “Passengers should just simply avoid it.” Dickson responded saying, “I would put my own family on it.” He continued, “I understand the concerns. This is certainly a time for humility.”
Boeing has been sitting on around 450 737 Maxs that it produced but could not deliver to customers due to the ban. Furthermore, the coronavirus pandemic has decimated orders of planes and left Boeing with a gaping hole.
American Airlines announced that the 737 Max would be utilized in late December.