Aurora killer was ordered to surrender his gun in 2014

Officials address "good, bad, and ugly" of background check system in wake of Aurora mass shooting last week

Illinois State Police released a statement late Thursday explaining that the shooter who killed five coworkers and wounded five police officers at the Henry Pratt Company in Aurora, Illinois, last week had not responded to a notification ordering him to surrender any weapons in his possession nearly five years ago and that there was no record that local authorities were ever notified.

Shining the "brightest light on the good, bad, and ugly of this system" is the "only way we can honor those who died - the only way we will ever be safer," acting state police director Brendan F. Kelly said.

But NBC Chicago called efforts to revoke gun privileges for felons "almost laughably inept" and said the data made available with the statement painted "shocking picture of the system for firearm regulation in Illinois."

The Chicago Tribune explained that federal databases omitted the killer's felony conviction as recently as Wednesday, calling it an "unsettling shortcoming that raises questions" because criminal court records are available to the public on the internet, adding that his conviction is referenced in public document databases used news organizations around the country.

The Chicago Sun-Times noted that it was "an unusual and lengthy late-night statement" and WSIL 3 ABC local news called the statistics "staggering."

State police say they have no record of receiving a Firearm Disposition Record in this case and are still looking for paper and electronic files, according to HOI ABC local news.

Comments


Jim MacMillan
EditorJim MacMillan