On Saturday, President Trump announced a compromise package for the nation to end the government shutdown and give paychecks to federal employees who have been without one for 30 days now. The address from the White House presented a give and take plan that included a lot of points that Democrats have supported on the issue of immigration, while also funding the $5.7 billion that the President has requested to build the steel barrier on parts of the border between Mexico and the United States. Unfortunately, it appears that the Democrats have completely removed the word “compromise” from their dictionary, altogether.
First, let’s take a quick peek at the tenants of the proposal. Per NPR:
- $800 million for urgent humanitarian assistance;
- $805 million for drug-detection technology to secure ports of entry;
- 2,750 additional border agents;
- 75 new immigration judge teams for a court backlog of nearly 900,000 cases;
- Allow Central American minors to apply for asylum in their home countries;
- $5.7 billion for strategic deployment of physical barriers or a wall, but not, Trump said, a 2,000-mile concrete structure. He wants to add 230 miles this year and claims the crime rate and drug problem "would be quickly and greatly reduced" ... "some say it would be cut in half."
In exchange for:
- Three years of legislative relief for some 700,000 recipients of the Obama-era initiative known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, which protects some immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children from being deported;
- Three-year extension of temporary protected status for some 300,000 facing expiration.
- Trump said these measures would allow three more years of certainty to work on a larger immigration deal.
Before the President even spoke, passing along this proposal, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi released a statement where she detailed points that the Democrats support in the fight for border security:
- Increased infrastructure investments at our ports of entry including additional ports and roads;
- Advanced technology to scan for drugs, weapons and contraband where the vast majority of drugs come in to our country and advanced technology to detect unauthorized crossings;
- More customs personnel including filling the more than 3,000 customs and border patrol vacancies; and
- More immigration judges.
Does that look familiar? Let me put the two proposals side-by-side for you.
So, the Democrats have stated their support for every single bullet point of Trump’s proposal except for the physical barrier – of which, not 5 years ago, they supported to a great extent. In fact, high profile democrats are on record supporting a physical barrier between the 2 countries for security… Chuck Schumer, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, and more.
So, what changed? Well, the obvious of a polarizing President that the Democrats have vowed to obstruct at all costs, but there is another thing that has been quietly creeping into the country… votes.
Let’s break both these points down. Democrats don’t like Trump… duh. They feel Trump stole the election through multiple points, including the “unfair” electoral college, as well as their supposed “Russian Collusion”. But Democrats were opposed to the idea of the wall during the election, before Hillary smacked into the glass ceiling at warp speed, so what changed from 2013 to 2016?
In recent years, the Democrats have been pushing to allow illegal immigrants the ability to vote. In fact, San Francisco passed Proposition N in 2016 which gives “voting rights in San Francisco School Board elections to non-citizen residents of San Francisco who are of legal voting age, not in prison or on parole for a felony conviction, and who are parents, legal guardians, or legally recognized caregivers of children under the age of 19 living in San Francisco.” A few places in Maryland have also allowed illegal aliens the ability to vote.
Federal law prohibits the participation of anyone here illegally in federal elections, but the ball is rolling for a push to allow illegal aliens the right to vote. The Democrats are wanting more votes, and illegal aliens vote Democrat to a large degree. Current estimates have between 11 million and 20 million illegal immigrants in America, which is quite a large source of potential votes. Democrats know that if they can win support early on with this demographic, once they figure out how to give them voting rights, the number of Democratic voters would skyrocket… hence, why they promise them all kinds of free stuff.
The Democrats have gone all in on the hopes that their support for illegal immigration will lead to an amnesty bill that will give voting rights to all of those that are here illegally, increasing their ranks by millions of voters. This stance appeals to 2 different groups: 1) the far-left social justice warriors and 2) the “anti-Trump at all costs” crowd.
America would benefit greatly with a bill that is a compromise between the two parties, but Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer have shown no willingness to compromise on their part. Compromise to them is the other side gives into their demands. What will Nancy and Chuck do? Will they do what is best for America, or will they do what is best for their own party? Only time will tell.