Since launching in 2011, Twitch has evolved its reputation as the world’s leading social video platform and community for video game culture to now encompass an array of emerging content surfaced by its users. As a result, 15 million visitors gather daily to interact about video games, music, the creative arts, their lives, and more with over 2 million unique creators who broadcast each month.
Why do people stream?
It’s fun and represents a compelling new social network to connect with friends and fans over a shared love of games and other interests. Many content creators are making a living on Twitch based solely on how they entertain and interact with their audiences.
- People enjoy watching others who are highly skilled or extremely entertaining when it involves a shared interest.
- Twitch is an honest means of discovery proven to influence video game purchase decisions.
- Twitch is more than a spectator experience; it is social video that relies on audio and chat to enable creators and their audiences to interact in real-time about everything from gaming and pop culture to life in general.
What are they watching?
- Games : Every game and game genre is on Twitch!
- User Generated Programming : Original content created by community members, whether it’s casual gaming with friends, a unique subculture like speedrunning, or a Twitch Plays game built with chat-driven gameplay.
- Esports : Competitive gaming has its own ecosystem with shows and events dedicated to this growing sport. Twitch features the top teams, leagues, players, talk shows and every major event.
- Publishers/Developers : Every major video game publisher and developer has a Twitch channel.
- Editorial : All of the top video game media sites have a Twitch channel to bring live content to their readers.
- Events : Conventions all over the world have embraced Twitch for panels, press conferences, and show floor activities.
Emerging Content : Our community has surfaced an array of interests that go beyond gaming, resulting in content categories such as:
- Creative: Born from our gamers who were doing game-related fan art and cosplay, Twitch allows artists to showcase the creative process, whether it’s painting, drawing, sculpting, building, sewing, composing, cooking, or numerous other projects.